Friday, November 26, 2010

Gaga Land

"We needed a pop star who could simultaneously celebrate the spirit of pop -- the spirit that makes everyone, no matter who or where they are in the world, stand up and start dancing when "Billie Jean" comes on the jukebox -- and deconstruct, and ultimately shift, the static notion of the pop star as a figure of blind worship and untouchable-ness. Gaga has put the glitter wand back into the hands of the audience. She's made the audience responsible for what they are viewing. No other pop singers are doing that, at least not on the level that Gaga is. No pop singer has done it on that level, ever, period" - Salon Magazine.


My sister and I saw Gaga perform in Vancouver August 24th 2010 at Gm Place (recently called Rogers Arena.) It was truly one of the greatest concerts I have ever been to in my whole entire life and I have a sneaky suspicion that I will look back at that experience for years to come.
I have never been to a concert where the artist works so hard to make the fans the focus of the night. At one point, she walked around the stage pointing a lit up torch at fans to see what they were wearing. She would comment about how beautiful they looked, how she was inspired by each of them.
I remember seeing her in an interview and she had stated that at the moment she didn't have a home because she wanted to spend all her money on costumes, props and sets for the concert.
Having seen her perform at the Monster Ball, it was VERY evident that blood, sweat and tears had gone into making this a one of a kind performance.

Throughout the night she made it clear that it was a gathering for the "out-cast"....that each person was beautiful and special the way they are no matter what...that we are all in this together. It created this strong bond not only with her but the rest of the audience. It was amazing, I really felt so encouraged and so inspired by her.

People can say she is crazy or that she is a bad role model but then I would say that they simply misunderstand her. She is completely raw talent. Her voice is spectacular. She writes her own lyrics and music. She dances, she plays instruments such as piano. Very talented. Her outfits are all created with a purpose behind them.

I have never been to a concert before that changed the sets so many times - and they were extravagant sets! And the outfits? I lost track!!!  I can't believe we only paid 90 dollars each!

It was just the most fun I have ever had, and I can't wait to see her again!!!
A truly beautiful, inspiring woman!

A Proud Little Monster,
Nay



P.S. These are all pictures I took at the concert. We were VERY close to the stage as you can see!! :)An experience of a lifetime and I got to share it with my best friend, my sister Jen!

No comments:

Post a Comment